Replacing Personal Documents and Personal Property

When applying for disaster assistance loans and grants, many documents such as tax records from the past three years, deeds, mortgages, renters' leases, copies of insurance policies or settlements, social security numbers, and other documentation will be necessary. If you have lost this documentation in a disaster and need information on document replacement there are various offices available to help you replace them.

Social Security card replacement: apply at a local office or mail the necessary forms to your local Social Security office. To find your local Social Security office visit, or call (800) 772-1213. To obtain more information, visit or call  (800) 772-1213. To obtain a replacement card, you may be required to provide an original copy of a birth certificate, driver's license, state-issued nondriver ID card, adoption record, marriage or divorce record, military record, or U.S. passport, as well as proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status.

Birth, marriage, or death certificates: 
Recorder/Clerks Office, County of San Diego 
Phone: (619) 236-3771 

Office of Vital Records
Department of Health Services


Veteran records:
US Veterans Affairs Department 
Phone: 1-800-827-1000 

Permanent Resident Card: 
Fill out form USCIS I-90 and submit it in person at your local U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office. You must also submit two residency photos taken within the last 30 days and pay the replacement fee of $260. Some may be eligible to E-file Form USCIS I-90. For more information and form I-90 click here or call (800) 870-3676.

Work permits: 
Complete form USCIS I-765, submit a copy of applications or documents that entitle you to a work permit, include a money order or cashier's check for $180, and mail to:

U.S. Department of Homeland Security 
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services 
California Service Center 
P.O. Box 30111 
Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-0111

*All non U.S. citizens must also contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to inform them of address change due to wildfires or disaster. This can be done by completing USCIS form AR-11 and submitting it to your local USCIS office.

Driver's License or identification card: 
Make an appointment to visit your local Department of Motor Vehicles at or call (800) 777-0133. The cost of replacement is $12 for driver's licenses, $6 for identification cards, and $3 for senior identification cards.

Call the U.S. Passport Information Center at (877) 487-2778.

Medicare card: 
Apply at your Social Security office, online at, or by calling (800) 772-1213. Cards are replaced at no charge and temporary proof is also available for those in immediate need.

Federal Income Tax returns: 
Contact your tax preparer for copies. If your preparer does not have copies, complete IRS form 4506 and send it to the same address you sent your return. At the top of the form, print "CA Wildfires" in red ink. For more information and forms visit, or call (800) 829-3676.

California State Income Tax returns: 
Complete Franchise Tax Board (FTB) form 3516. At the top of the form print "CA Wildfires" in red ink. For more information and forms visit, or call (800) 852-5711.